- · The government is considering raising the admissions age for nursery school pupils in Northern Ireland
to the age of three.
- The proposals were contained in a consultation paper on pre-school education,
published on Monday.
- Research shows that children are better prepared for primary school when they have some pre-school education.
- nursery school places to allow almost every child to attend in the year before they start primary school.
- Almost 2,000 two-year-olds are getting places in nursery schools.
- The department said it was not true that full-time attendance was better for children than part-time, although it conceded that there were benefits for children from disadvantaged backgrounds.